|In alignment with the Baldwinsville Comprehensive District Long-Range Plan (2010-2015), the Office of Curriculum and Instruction will maintain high standards in order to ensure that all students meet or exceed state and local standards. The department is committed to promoting the exchange of best ideas and materials among teachers (Bloom, 1956), by providing opportunities for teacher collaboration and communication.
The members of this department include:
- Tony Cardamone, Principal on Special Assignment
- Linda Law, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, K-12
- Jennifer Sawyer, Instructional Specialist, K-12
All members of this department provide direct support to instructional staff and departments within the Baldwinsville Central School District in order to implement research-based curriculum and related staff development.
Student learning improves when teachers use the Big Four (©2005, Jane E. Pollock, PhD):
- Establish effective learning targets
- Plan for and use research-based instructional strategies
- Use varied assessment tools
- Use data to provide effective feedback to learners to improve achievement
The Office of Curriculum and Instruction provides the following services to the instructional staff of the Baldwinsville Central School District:
Understanding Common Core Standards
- Guide the writing of curriculum documents in all areas
- Provide staff development to support implementation of curriculum
- Guide a data-driven decision making process to improve instructional programs
- Provide support in the use of technology to meet curriculum goals and empower student learning
- Manage district initiatives focused on supporting the Baldwinsville Central School District curriculum:
- Thinking Skills
- Performance by Design
- 6+1 Trait Writing
- Units of Study for Primary Writing (Lucy Calkins)
Parents across New York want to know more about the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). CCSS is a nationwide initiative that allows states to share a common definition of readiness at each grade level. The standards will help all students across the state learn the same skills to ensure they are prepared for college and career following graduation. For more information on CCSS, please click on the link above.