Skip to main content


Downloadable Forms: On This Page:



Parent Options for Children Who Required Medication on Field Trips

1. Discuss the possibility of Chaperoning the trip, and carrying  your child’s medication, with the classroom teacher.

2. Designate someone who doesn’t work in the school district to attend the field trip – who can carry and administer the medication to your child for you.

3. Discuss with your doctor whether the medication is required for the field trip. If the medication is not required for the field trip, both you and your doctor provide written documentation confirming this. BOTH notes are necessary.

4. Discuss with your doctor whether or not your child can be self directed in administering their own medication. To be self directed your child must be able to: identify the medication, state the purpose of the medication, state the correct dose, state when the medication must be taken and what would happen if the medication is missed. Finally your child must be able to demonstrate to the school nurse his/her ability to meet the criteria.


If your child will be taking medicine at school, provider and parent permission forms are needed for both prescription and over the counter medications.  New medication permission forms are required each school year. 
New York State Law requires that:
  • Parents or guardians must personally deliver all medication to the to the school health office.  All Controlled Medications must be delivered to the nurse’s office by an adult and the quantity must be counted with the school nurse.
  • All medication must remain in properly labeled pharmacy or original over the counter (OTC) containers. 
  • A new prescription/medication form signed by the medical provider is required at the beginning of every school year.
  • The parent must sign the medication permission form.
We request that you ask your pharmacist to give you a second identically labeled container for any prescription medications your student will take at school. We also request that you bring small containers of any OTC (over the counter) medications that your student will take. This will allow the School Nurse to send these medications on field trips and comply with New York State laws pertaining to medication storage.
Medication forms are available on our school nurse web site (Parent & Provider Permission to Administer Medications) or may be obtained from the School Health Office. Your physician may use their own form if desired.  If your student will be carrying his/her inhaler or epi pen and the order is written on the MD office forms then have your provider complete “Health Care Provider Permission for Independent Use and Carry”.
Nurses will be available for medication drop off during school hours.
If you need to make special arrangements to drop off medication, please call your school nurse to make these arrangements.