Required Physicals - Changes to Required Grades as of July 1, 2018
As of July 1, 2018 New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time and when entering Pre-K or K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th , and 11th grade. The examination must be completed by a New York State licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner and on the approved NYSED Student Health Examination Form for School. Physical exams are valid for the twelve months prior to the start of the school year.
You can download the state required form HERE. Please bring this form to your provider, then return the completed form to your school's health office before the first day of school in September. If you have already had a physical examination completed for the 2018-19 school year on a different form, the school may accept the physical on that form. In 2019-2020 ONLY the approved form will be accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the New Physical Exam Form
1. When is the new physical exam form REQUIRED?
Because the New York State Education Department is recommending the use of the new physical exam form for the 2018-2019 school year we are requesting that you bring it with you to your child’s next physical. The New York State Education Department is
REQUIRING that all physicals submitted to schools for the 2019-2020 school year are on the new physical exam form.
2. My child has already had a physical and I submitted a copy to the school nurse. Do I ask the provider to fill out this new physical exam form?
No. We are permitted to accept whatever physical exam form that your doctor’s office uses for the 2018-2019 school year. For the 2019-2020 school year and beyond, the required NYS physical exam form will only be accepted.
3. My child’s physical is scheduled during the fall. Do I have to re-schedule the physical in order to have it completed before September?
No. Keep the scheduled physical and bring the new physical exam form with you to that appointment. Let the school nurse know when the physical is scheduled. Once the physical has been completed send a copy of the exam form to the nurse.
4. I see that for the 2018-2019 school year different grade levels require school physicals. My child had this year’s required second grade physical and now third graders are required to have physicals. What is the window of time that a school physical is acceptable?
An examination may be accepted if it is dated not more than twelve months prior to the commencement of the school year in which the examination is required. If your school year begins on September 3, 2018, then any physical conducted on or after September 3, 2017 or later is valid for the 2018 - 2019 school year.
Sports Physicals – Physicals for athletes must be performed annually. The sports qualifying physical must be dated within the 12 months prior to the start of your athlete’s season. Plan ahead and schedule annual physical exams with your primary provider early.
New York State requires schools to screen vision, hearing and for scoliosis on school children according to the information below (listed by grade level). The school nurse will contact you when there is a need for follow-up on screening results.
- HEARING: new entrants, K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 11
- VISION: new entrants, K, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11
- SCOLIOSIS: grade 9 for boys and grades 5 & 7 for girls.
Body Mass Index (BMI) reporting to the state is required every other year. Numbers are reported in aggregate format; there is absolutely no identification of individual student BMI data.
Please contact your nurse with any screening questions.