COVID-19 Update: Tips for parents, studentsMarch 19, 2020
Dear Parents & Guardians,
We hope you are settling in with all the changes we’ve seen this week in our District and in our community. Our teachers have connected with your student, and our hope is your family is easing into a new routine of continued learning. Please know it is not our expectation that you become teachers in homeschooling your children. Rather, that our teachers are providing the necessary instruction both online and offline to keep students engaged in learning.
Parents and guardians have a role in supporting learning when it occurs in the classroom as well as when it occurs virtually.
Here are some tips for you:
- Assist your student with creating a comfortable learning environment and the establishment of a regular academic routine
- Provide materials and tools necessary for learning to occur (paper, pencils, calculator, devices, etc.)
- Establish regular communication with the classroom teacher to check in with your student’s progress.
- Have conversations with your student on his or her progress
Here are some tips for students:
- Students will follow accepted netiquette procedures when communicating online with teachers and peers
- Students should establish a learning space and daily academic schedule (in conjunction with their teachers)
- Students should communicate their learning needs with their teachers and participate in assessment opportunities to determine progress (online quizzes, etc.)
- Students should check their school-based Gmail during the normal school hours and respond when necessary
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
Joseph M. DeBarbieri
Acting Superintendent of School